Waimea Menehune D’Andre Gonzales, had not wrestled since about a week before the KIF wrestling season began.
Gonzales faced Kaua’i Red Raider Thomas Ramos in one of eight mixed-weight exhibition matches. This was the first Kaua’i Interscholastic Federation tournament at the Bernice Hundley Gym at the Kapa’a High School campus.
Twenty-two Menehune, Red Raider, and Warrior wrestlers participated in five regulated weight class divisions as well as the exhibition matches.
Waimea’s Mary Joy Angola was defeated by Casey Bernabe of Kapa’a. This was the sole girls regulation match at 113 pounds.
The Kapa’a grapplers took first place in three of five weight divisions. They were led by Bernabe win in the 113-pound girls division. Kelan Keohokapu defeated Kayden Libre of Waimea to win the 152-pound boys division. Nathan Narovish from Kapa’a won the 195-pound boys division.
After two rounds in the mixed weight exhibition match, the Red Raider Thomas Ramos trailed 11-6. to D’Andre Gonzales in the mixed-weight competition.
Ramos felt energized by the Red Raider coaching staff during the breaks between rounds one and two. He won the match by pinfall just a few minutes after the start of the final round.
KIF’s wrestling tournament will move to the Clem Gomes Gym at Waimea on Saturday. The first matches will start at 10 a.m.
- 113 Pounds, Girls: Casey Bernabe (Kap), Mary Joy Angola (Wai)
- 152 Pounds, Boys: Kelan Keohokapu (Kap), Kayden Libre (Wai)
- 170 Pounds, Boys: El Butac-Sagucio (Kau), Shawn Parraga (Wai), Kaden Escobar (Kap)
- 195 Pounds, Boys: Nathan Marovish (Kap), Eliam Ornellas (Wai), Ephraim Salud (Kau), Darren Dela Cruz (Kau)
- 220 Pounds, Boys: Walker Turpin (Kau), Eldon Simpliciano-Siliad (Wai)